Htop process name weak security
|htop-processname-weak-security (46321)||Medium Risk|
Htop could provide weaker than expected security. Non-printable characters are not filtered in process names. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability using a specially-crafted process name to hide malicious processes.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system. See References.
- Debian Bug report logs - #504144: htop: Does not filter non-printable characters in process names.
- htop Web page: htop - an interactive process viewer for Linux.
- BID-32081: htop Hidden Process Name Input Filtering Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-5076: htop 0.7 writes process names to a terminal without sanitizing non-printable characters, which might allow local users to hide processes, modify arbitrary files, or have unspecified other impact via a process name with crazy control strings.
- OSVDB ID: 50297: htop Process Name Control String Manipulation
- SUSE-SR:2008:026: SUSE Security Summary Report
- Hisham Muhammed htop 0.7
Nov 01, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this