Adobe Acrobat and Reader PDF object code execution
|adobe-acrobatreader-object-code-execution (46333)||High Risk|
Adobe Acrobat and Reader could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by improper parsing of PDF objects. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted .PDF file, an attacker could exploit this vulnerability to corrupt memory and execute arbitrary code on the system with privileges of the victim.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system.
Refer to APSB08-19 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- Adobe Product Security Bulletin APSB08-19: Security Update available for Adobe Reader 8 and Acrobat 8.
- NORTEL BULLETIN ID: 2008009218, Rev 1: Nortel Response to Adobe Vulnerability Identifier APSB08-19 .
- NORTEL BULLETIN ID: 2009009504, Rev 1: Nortel: Technical Support: Nortel Response to Sun Alert 249366 - Solaris 10 - Multiple Security Vulnerabilities.
- Sun Alert ID: 249366: Multiple Security Vulnerabilities in the Adobe Reader May Lead to Execution of Arbitrary Code.
- ZDI-08-073: Adobe Acrobat Reader Malformed PDF Code Execution Vulnerability.
- ASA-2008-439: acroread security update (RHSA-2008-0974)
- ASA-2009-018: Multiple Security Vulnerabilities in the Adobe Reader May Lead to Execution of Arbitrary Code (Sun 249366)
- BID-32100: Adobe Acrobat and Reader 8.1.2 Multiple Security Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2008-4813: Adobe Reader and Acrobat 8.1.2 and earlier, and before 7.1.1, allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted PDF document that (1) performs unspecified actions on a Collab object that trigger memory corruption, related to a GetCosObj method; or (2) contains a malformed PDF object that triggers memory corruption during parsing.
- GLSA-200901-09: Adobe Reader: User-assisted execution of arbitrary code
- RHSA-2008-0974: Critical: acroread security update
- SA32872: SUSE Update for Multiple Packages
- SA35163: Nortel Media Processing Server Adobe Reader Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1021140: Adobe Acrobat Multiple Flaws Let Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- SUSE-SR:2008:026: SUSE Security Summary Report
- Adobe Acrobat 8.0
- Adobe Acrobat 8.1
- Adobe Acrobat 8.1.1
- Adobe Acrobat 8.1.2
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.0
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.1
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.1.1
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.1.2
- Gentoo Linux
- Nortel Media Processing Server 1000
- RedHat Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.7.z Extras
- RedHat RHEL Desktop Supplementary 5 Client
- RedHat RHEL Extras 3
- RedHat RHEL Extras 4
- RedHat RHEL Supplementary 5 Server
- RedHat RHEL Supplementary 5.2.z EUS
- Sun Solaris 10 SPARC
Nov 04, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.