Sun VirtualBox ipcdUnix.cpp symlink
|sun-virtualbox-ipcdunix-symlink (46826)||Medium Risk|
VirtualBox could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. The ipcdUnix.cpp file creates temporary files insecurely. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link from the /tmp/.vbox-$USER-ipc/lock temporary file to various files on the system, which could allow the attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system with elevated privileges.
Upgrade to the latest version of VirtualBox (2.0.6 or later), available from the VirtualBox Web site. See References.
- VirtualBox Web site: VirtualBox.
- VirtualBox Web site: Changelog: VirtualBox 2.0.6 (released 2008-11-21).
- BID-32444: VirtualBox 'ipcdUnix.cpp' Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-5256: The AcquireDaemonLock function in ipcdUnix.cpp in Sun Innotek VirtualBox before 2.0.6 allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on a /tmp/.vbox-$USER-ipc/lock temporary file.
- MDVSA-2009:011: virtualbox
- OSVDB ID: 50152: Sun VirtualBox ipcdUnix.cpp AcquireDaemonLock() Function Temporary File Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- SA32851: VirtualBox "AcquireDaemonLock()" Insecure Temporary Files
- SECTRACK ID: 1021384: Sun xVM VirtualBox Unsafe Temporary File Lets Local Users Gain Elevated Privileges
- SUSE-SR:2009:004: SUSE Security Summary Report
- VUPEN/ADV-2008-3410: Sun xVM VirtualBox Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.1 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.1
- Mandriva Linux 2009.0
- Mandriva Linux 2009.0 X86_64
- Sun VirtualBox 2.0.4
Nov 21, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this