avast! Linux Home Edition ISO and RPM buffer overflow
|avast-home-iso-rpm-bo (47251)||High Risk|
avast! Linux Home Edition is vulnerable to multiple buffer overflows, caused by improper bounds checking when handling malformed files. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted ISO or RPM file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of Linux Home Edition (1.0.8-1 or later), available from the avast! Web site. See References.
- avast! Web site: avast!.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Dec 10 2008 - 05:57:26 CST : [IVIZ-08-013] Avast antivirus for Linux multiple vulnerabilities.
- BID-32747: Avast! Linux Home Edition ISO and RPM File Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2008-6846: Multiple stack-based buffer overflows in avast! Linux Home Edition 1.0.5, 1.0.5-1, and 1.0.8 allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) or execute arbitrary code via a malformed (1) ISO or (2) RPM file.
- OSVDB ID: 52016: avast! for Linux ISO / RPM File Handling Overflow
- Alwil avast! Linux 1.0.5 Home
- Alwil avast! Linux 1.0.5-1 Home
- Alwil avast! Linux 1.0.8 Home
Dec 10, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.