Apple Safari ALINK memory leak denial of service
|apple-safari-alink-dos (47724)||Medium Risk|
Apple Safari is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a memory leak in the WebKit library. By persuading a victim to visit a malicious Web page containing an overly long ALINK attribute in a BODY element, a remote attacker could consume all available memory resources and cause the browser to crash.
Denial of Service
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- Apple Safari Web site: Apple Safari.
- Jeremy's Computer Security Blog, Wednesday, December 31, 2008: Jeremy's Computer Security Blog: New Year & Research.
- Packet Storm Web Site: Safari (Webkit) version 3.2 remote memory leak exploit.
- BID-33080: Apple Safari WebKit 'alink' Property Memory Leak Remote Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2008-5821: Memory leak in WebKit.dll in WebKit, as used by Apple Safari 3.2 on Windows Vista SP1, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (memory consumption and browser crash) via a long ALINK attribute in a BODY element in an HTML document.
- OSVDB ID: 53308: Apple Safari on Windows WebKit.dll ALINK Attribute Handling Memory Exhaustion DoS
- Apple Safari 3.2
- Apple WebKit
Dec 31, 2008
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.