Multiple CA products Anti-Virus engine archive file security bypass
|ca-antivirus-engine-security-bypass (48261)||Medium Risk|
Multiple CA products could allow a remote attacker to bypass security restrictions, caused by improper handling of certain archive file formats by the Arclib Archive Library (arclib) in the Anti-Virus engine. By sending a malicious archive file to a vulnerable system, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to bypass the anti-virus scanning detection and launch further attacks on the system, once the file is extracted.
Refer to CA20090126-01 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- CA Security Response Blog, Jan 26 2009, 10:50 PM: CA20090126-01: CA Anti-Virus Engine Detection Evasion Multiple Vulnerabilities .
- CA20090126-01: Security Notice for CA Anti-Virus Engine.
- BID-33464: Computer Associates Anti-Virus Engine 'arclib.dll' Multiple Scan Evasion Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2009-0042: Multiple unspecified vulnerabilities in the Arclib library (arclib.dll) before 18.104.22.168 in the CA Anti-Virus engine for CA Anti-Virus for the Enterprise 7.1, r8, and r8.1; Anti-Virus 2007 v8 and 2008; Internet Security Suite 2007 v3 and 2008; and other CA products allow remote attackers to bypass virus detection via a malformed archive file.
- OSVDB ID: 53604: CA Anti-Virus Arclib Library (arclib.dll) Malformed Archive Scan Bypass
- SA33712: CA Anti-Virus Engine Archive Files Detection Bypass
- SECTRACK ID: 1021639: CA Anti-Virus Arclib Bug Lets Remote Users Bypass Malware Detection
- CA Anti-Spyware 2007
- CA Anti-Spyware 2008
- CA Anti-Virus 2007 8.0
- CA Anti-Virus for the Enterprise 7.1
- CA Anti-Virus for the Enterprise 8
- CA Anti-Virus for the Enterprise 8.1
- CA Anti-Virus Gateway 7.1
- CA AntiVirus SDK
- CA BrightStor ARCserve Backup 11.1
- CA BrightStor ARCserve Backup 11.5
- CA BrightStor ARCserve Backup 12
- CA Common Services
- CA eTrust Antivirus 8
- CA eTrust Antivirus 8.1
- CA eTrust Antivirus Gateway 7.1
- CA eTrust EZ Antivirus 6.1
- CA eTrust EZ Antivirus 7.0
- CA eTrust Integrated Threat Management 8.0
- CA eTrust PestPatrol 8.0
- CA eTrust PestPatrol 8.1
- CA eTrust Secure Content Manager 8.0
- CA eTrust Secure Content Manager 8.1
- CA Internet Security Suite 2007
- CA Protection Suites 2
- CA Protection Suites 3.0
- CA Protection Suites 3.1
- CA Secure Content Manager 8.0
- CA Threat Manager 8 Enterprise
- CA Unicenter NSM 11
- CA Unicenter NSM 11.1
- CA Unicenter NSM 11.2
- CA Unicenter NSM 3.0
- CA Unicenter NSM 3.1
Jan 26, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.