GOM Encoder .srt file buffer overflow
|gomencoder-srt-bo (49252)||High Risk|
GOM Encoder is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the Preview/ Set Segment function. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted .srt subtitle file containing an overly long text field, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
No remedy available as of May 1, 2013.
- Bkis Security Blog: GOM Encoder Heap-based Buffer Overflow.
- GOMlab Web site: GOM software - Free, Simple, Light, It just plays! - GOM Media Player, GOM encoder:.
- BID-34120: Gretech GOM Encoder '.srt' File Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2009-1022: Heap-based buffer overflow in the Preview/ Set Segment function in Gretech GOMlab GOM Encoder 22.214.171.124 and earlier allows user-assisted remote attackers to cause a denial of service (memory corruption and application crash) or execute arbitrary code via a long text field in a subtitle (.srt) file.
- OSVDB ID: 52677: GOM Encoder SRT Subtitle File Handling Overflow
- SA34314: GOM Encoder Subtitle Processing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- VUPEN/ADV-2009-0735: GOM Encoder Subtitle File Processing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- Gretech GOM Encoder 126.96.36.199
Mar 16, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.