Multiple AVG products ZIP security bypass
|avg-zip-security-bypass (50426)||Medium Risk|
Multiple AVG products could allow a remote attacker to bypass security restrictions, caused by a vulnerability in the file parsing engine. By sending a specially-crafted ZIP file to a vulnerable system, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to bypass scanning detection and possibly launch further attacks on the vulnerable system.
Upgrade to the latest version of AVG (8.5 build 323 or later), available from the AVG Web site. See References.
- AVG Web site: AVG Antivirus and Security Software.
- Secdev - Thierry Zoller Blog: Advisory: AVG Zip evasion / bypass.
- BID-34895: Multiple AVG Products RAR/ZIP Files Scan Evasion Vulnerability
- CVE-2009-1784: The AVG parsing engine 8.5 323, as used in multiple AVG anti-virus products including Anti-Virus Network Edition, Internet Security Netzwerk Edition, Server Edition für Linux/FreeBSD, Anti-Virus SBS Edition, and others allows remote attackers to bypass malware detection via a crafted (1) RAR and (2) ZIP archive.
- OSVDB ID: 54715: AVG Multiple Products RAR Archive Scanning Bypass
- OSVDB ID: 54716: AVG Multiple Products ZIP Archive Scanning Bypass
- AVG AVG Anti-Virus 6.0.710
- AVG AVG Anti-Virus 7.0
- AVG AVG Anti-Virus 7.0.251
- AVG AVG Anti-Virus 7.0.323
- AVG AVG Anti-Virus 7.1.308
- AVG AVG Anti-Virus 7.1.407
- AVG AVG Anti-Virus 7.5.448
- AVG AVG Anti-Virus 7.5.476
- AVG AVG Anti-Virus 8.0
- AVG AVG Anti-Virus 8.0.156
May 08, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.