Pinnacle Studio .hfz file directory traversal
|pinnaclestudio-hfz-directory-traversal (50510)||Medium Risk|
Pinnacle Studio could allow a remote attacker to traverse directories on the system. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted .hfz file containing "dot dot" sequences (\\..\\), an attacker could exploit this vulnerability to overwrite arbitrary files on the system.
No remedy available as of December 1, 2013.
- Pinnacle Systems Web site: Pinnacle Studio.
- BID-34936: Pinnacle Studio '.hfz' File Directory Traversal Vulnerability
- CVE-2009-1743: Directory traversal vulnerability in InstallHFZ.exe 18.104.22.168 in Pinnacle Hollywood Effects 6, a module in Pinnacle Systems Pinnacle Studio 12, allows remote attackers to create and overwrite arbitrary files via a filename containing a ..\ (dot dot backslash) sequence in a Hollywood FX Compressed Archive (.hfz) file. NOTE: this can be leveraged for code execution by decompressing a file to a Startup folder. NOTE: some of these details are obtained from third party information.
- OSVDB ID: 54430: Hollywood FX InstallHFZ.exe HFZ File Handling Traversal Arbitrary File Write
- SA35078: Pinnacle Hollywood FX Archive Handling Directory Traversal
- Pinnacle Systems Pinnacle Studio 12
May 13, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.