Firewall Builder temp file symlink
|firewallbuilder-temp-symlink (53392)||Medium Risk|
Firewall Builder could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. Temporary files are created insecurely. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link from a temporary file to various files on the system, which could allow the attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system with elevated privileges.
Upgrade to the latest version of Firewall Builder (3.0.7 or later), available from the NetCitadel Web site. See References.
- Firewall Builder Blog: Firewall Builder v3.0.7 Released.
- NetCitadel Web site: Firewall Builder.
- BID-36468: NetCitadel Firewall Builder Script Generation Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- CVE-2009-4664: Firewall Builder 3.0.4, 3.0.5, and 3.0.6, when running on Linux, allows local users to gain privileges via a symlink attack on an unspecified temporary file that is created by the iptables script.
- OSVDB ID: 58247: Firewall Builder iptables Script Temporary File Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- SA36809: Firewall Builder Insecure Temporary Files
- NetCitadel Firewall Builder 3.0.4
- NetCitadel Firewall Builder 3.0.5
- NetCitadel Firewall Builder 3.0.6
Sep 18, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.