BakBone NetVault Backup npvmgr.exe denial of service
|netvault-npvmgr-dos (53434)||Medium Risk|
BakBone NetVault Backup is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by improper validation of network traffic passed to malloc() by npvmgr.exe. By sending a specially-crafted UDP or TCP packet containing an overly long value to port 20031, a remote attacker could cause the service to crash.
Denial of Service
No remedy available as of December 1, 2013.
- BakBone Web site: NetVault Backup.
- Insight Technologies Web Site: BakBone Netvault backup 8.22 Build 29 remote DoS.
- BID-36489: BakBone NetVault Backup 'npvmgr.exe' Remote Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2009-3448: npvmgr.exe in BakBone NetVault Backup 8.22 Build 29 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (daemon crash) via a packet to (1) TCP or (2) UDP port 20031 with a large value in an unspecified size field, which is not properly handled in a malloc operation. NOTE: some of these details are obtained from third party information.
- OSVDB ID: 58329: BakBone NetVault Backup npvmgr.exe malloch() Function Crafted Packet Remote DoS
- SA36847: BakBone NetVault Backup Denial of Service Vulnerability
- SECTRACK ID: 1022941: BakBone NetVault Flaw Lets Remote Users Crash the 'npvmgr.exe' Service
- BakBone NetVault Backup 8.22 build 29
Sep 23, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.