Open Handset Alliance Android SMS WAP Push denial of service
|android-smswappush-dos (53655)||Medium Risk|
Open Handset Alliance Android is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by the improper handling of SMS messages. By sending a specially-crafted SMS WAP Push message, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the device to disconnect and restart.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of Android (1.5 CBDxx, CRCxx and COCxx or later), available from the Open Handset Alliance Web site. See References.
- oCERT #2009-014: Android denial-of-service issues.
- Open Handset Alliance Web site: Android.
- BID-36590: Open Handset Alliance Malformed Application Remote Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2009-2999: The com.android.phone process in Android 1.5 CRBxx allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application restart and network disconnection) via an SMS message containing a malformed WAP Push message that triggers an ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException exception, possibly a related issue to CVE-2009-2656.
- SECTRACK ID: 1022986: Google Android SMS and Dalvik API Bugs Let Remote Users Deny Service
- Google Android 1.5 CRBxx
Oct 05, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.