Wireshark dissect_paltalk() denial of service
|wireshark-dissectpaltalk-dos (54016)||Medium Risk|
Wireshark (formerly Ethereal) is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an alignment error in the dissect_paltalk() function. By sending a specially-crafted Paltalk packet, an attacker could exploit this vulnerability on an alignment-sensitive architecture to cause the application to crash.
Denial of Service
Refer to wnpa-sec-2009-07 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- wnpa-sec-2009-07: Multiple vulnerabilities in WiresharkŪ version 0.10.10 to 1.2.2 .
- BID-36846: Wireshark 1.2.2 and 1.0.9 Multiple Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2009-3549: packet-paltalk.c in the Paltalk dissector in Wireshark 1.2.0 through 1.2.2, on SPARC and certain other platforms, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) via a file that records a malformed packet trace.
- GLSA-200911-05: Wireshark: Multiple vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 59459: Wireshark Paltalk Dissector Unspecified DoS
- SA37175: Wireshark Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- SUSE-SR:2009:020: SUSE Security Summary Report
- Gentoo Linux
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.0
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.1
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.2
Oct 26, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.