Wireshark DCERPC/NT denial of service
|wireshark-dcerpcnt-dos (54017)||Medium Risk|
Wireshark (formerly Ethereal) is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a NULL pointer dereference error in the DCERPC/NT dissector. By sending a specially-crafted DCERPC/NT packet, an attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the application to crash.
Denial of Service
Refer to wnpa-sec-2009-07 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- ASA-2010-116: wireshark security update (RHSA-2010-0360).
- wnpa-sec-2009-07: Multiple vulnerabilities in WiresharkŪ version 0.10.10 to 1.2.2 .
- BID-36846: Wireshark 1.2.2 and 1.0.9 Multiple Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2009-3550: The DCERPC/NT dissector in Wireshark 0.10.10 through 1.0.9 and 1.2.0 through 1.2.2 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and application crash) via a file that records a malformed packet trace. NOTE: some of these details are obtained from third party information.
- DSA-1942: wireshark -- several vulnerabilities
- GLSA-200911-05: Wireshark: Multiple vulnerabilities
- MDVSA-2009:292: wireshark
- MDVSA-2009:292-1: wireshark
- OSVDB ID: 59460: Wireshark DCERPC/NT Dissector Unspecified DoS
- RHSA-2010-0360: Moderate: wireshark security update
- SA37175: Wireshark Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- SA39714: Avaya Products Wireshark Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SUSE-SR:2009:020: SUSE Security Summary Report
- VUPEN/ADV-2009-3061: Wireshark Multiple Protocol Dissector Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- Avaya Communication Manager 2.0
- Avaya Communication Manager 3.0
- Avaya Communication Manager 4.0
- Avaya Modular Messaging 2.0
- Avaya SIP Enablement Services
- Debian Debian Linux 4.0
- Debian Debian Linux 5.0
- Gentoo Linux
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0 X86_64
- Mandriva Enterprise Server 5
- Mandriva Enterprise Server 5 X86_64
- Mandriva Linux 2009.1 X86_64
- Mandriva Linux 2009.1
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.8.z AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.8.z ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
- Wireshark Wireshark 0.10.10
- Wireshark Wireshark 0.10.11
- Wireshark Wireshark 0.10.12
- Wireshark Wireshark 0.10.13
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.1
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.2
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.3
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.4
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.5
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.6
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.7
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.8
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.9
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.0
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.1
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.2
Oct 26, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.