CuteNews editnews module directory traversal
|cutenews-editnews-dir-traversal (54246)||Medium Risk|
CuteNews could allow a remote attacker to traverse directories on the system. If magic_quotes is disabled, an attacker with edit or admin privileges could send a specially-crafted URL request to the index.php script in the editnews module containing "dot dot" sequences (../) in the source parameter to view the first column of any pipe-delimited file or to view sensitive user information.
Upgrade to the latest version of UTF-8 CuteNews (8b or later), available from the UTF-8 CuteNews Web site. See References.
- MORNINGSTAR-2009-02: Multiple security issues in Cute News and UTF-8 Cute News.
- UTF-8 CuteNews Web site: UTF-8 CuteNews.
- BID-36971: CuteNews and UTF-8 CuteNews Multiple Security Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2009-4116: Multiple directory traversal vulnerabilities in CutePHP CuteNews 1.4.6, when magic_quotes_gpc is disabled, allow remote authenticated users with editor or administrative application access to read arbitrary files via a .. (dot dot) in the source parameter in a (1) list or (2) editnews action to the Editnews module, and (3) the save_con[skin] parameter in the Options module. NOTE: vector 3 can be leveraged for code execution by using a .. to include and execute arbitrary local files.
- CutePHP CuteNews 1.4.6
Nov 11, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.