Yahoo! Messenger ActiveX control denial of service
|yahoo-messenger-activex-dos (54263)||Medium Risk|
The Yahoo! Messenger ActiveX control (YahooBridgeLib.dll) is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a NULL pointer dereference. By persuading a victim to visit a specially-crafted Web page, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using the RegisterMe() method to cause the affected application to crash.
Denial of Service
No remedy available as of April 1, 2014.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Nov 12 2009: Yahoo Messenger 9 ActiveX DoS (Null Pointer) Vulnerability.
- Yahoo! Messenger Web site: Yahoo! Messenger - Chat, Instant message, SMS, PC Calls and More.
- BID-37007: Yahoo! Messenger 'YahooBridgeLib.dll' ActiveX Control Remote Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2009-4171: An ActiveX control in YahooBridgeLib.dll for Yahoo! Messenger 184.108.40.2062, and possibly other 9.0 versions, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (NULL pointer dereference and application crash) by calling the RegisterMe method with a long argument.
- OSVDB ID: 60629: Yahoo! Messenger YahooBridgeLib.dll ActiveX RegisterMe Method Remote DoS
- Yahoo Messenger 9.0
- Yahoo Messenger 220.127.116.112
Nov 12, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.