KW Whois CGI allows remote command execution
|kw-whois-meta (5438)||High Risk|
KW (Kootenay Web) Whois fails to strip shell metacharacters from data passed by remote clients to the 'whois' parameter. A remote attacker can submit a specially-crafted request to the CGI script to execute arbitrary commands with the privileges of the CGI script.
Upgrade to the latest version of KW Whois (1.1 or later), available from the KW Whois site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sun Oct 29 2000 - 04:30:49 CST: Remote command execution via KW Whois 1.0.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sun Oct 29 2000 - 05:09:36 CST: Re: Remote command execution via KW Whois 1.0 (addition).
- Kootenay Web site: KW Whois.
- BID-1883: KW Whois Remote Command Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2000-0941: Kootenay Web KW Whois 1.0 CGI program allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands via shell metacharacters in the whois parameter.
- OSVDB ID: 440: KW Whois CGI whois Parameter Arbitrary Command Execution
- Kootenay Web KW Whois 1.0
Oct 29, 2000
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this