samba-client mount.cifs utility symlink
|sambaclient-mountcifs-symlink (55944)||Medium Risk|
samba-client could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack, caused by a race condition in the mount.cifs utility. The utility is shipped with the setuid root bit disabled which allows for the creation of insecure temporary files. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link from a temporary file to various files on the system, which could allow the attacker to obtain sensitive information or gain elevated privileges on the system.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system. See References.
- Red Hat Bugzilla Bug 532940: CVE-2009-3297 samba, fuse, ncpfs: Race condition by mount (mount.cifs, ncpmount) / umount (fusermount, ncpumount) operations.
- Samba Web site: smbclient.
- BID-37992: Samba 'mount.cifs' Utility Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- BID-39898: RETIRED: Samba 'mount.cifs' Utility Symlink Attack Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- CVE-2010-0787: client/mount.cifs.c in mount.cifs in smbfs in Samba 3.0.22, 3.0.28a, 3.2.3, 3.3.2, 3.4.0, and 3.4.5 allows local users to mount a CIFS share on an arbitrary mountpoint, and gain privileges, via a symlink attack on the mountpoint directory file.
- DSA-1989: fuse -- denial of service
- DSA-2004: samba -- several vulnerabilities
- MDVSA-2010:046: ncpfs
- MDVSA-2010:047: fuse
- MDVSA-2010:090: samba
- MDVSA-2010:090-1: samba
- RHSA-2011-1219: Moderate: samba security update
- SA38286: Samba "mount.cifs" Race Condition Security Issue
- SUSE-SA:2010:025: Samba security update
- USN-892-1: FUSE vulnerability
- USN-893-1: Samba vulnerability
- Canonical Ubuntu 6.06 LTS
- Canonical Ubuntu 8.04 LTS
- Canonical Ubuntu 8.10
- Debian Debian Linux 4.0
- Debian Debian Linux 5.0
- FedoraProject Fedora Core 11
- FedoraProject Fedora Core 12
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Multi Network Firewall 2.0
- Mandriva Enterprise Server 5 X86_64
- Mandriva Enterprise Server 5
- Mandriva Linux 2009.0 X86_64
- Mandriva Linux 2009.0
- Mandriva Linux 2009.1
- Mandriva Linux 2009.1 X86_64
- Mandriva Linux 2010
- Mandriva Linux 2010 X86_64
- Novell Linux POS 9
- Novell Open Enterprise Server
- Novell OpenSUSE 11.0
- Novell SLE SDK 10
- Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client
- Samba samba-client
- SuSE SuSE SLES 9
Jan 27, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.