Wireshark LWRES buffer overflow
|wireshark-lwres-bo (55951)||High Risk|
Wireshark (formerly known as Ethereal) is vulnerable to multiple buffer overflows, caused by improper bounds checking by the LWRES dissector. By persuading a victim to load a specially-crafted trace file or by sending malicious packets, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Refer to wnpa-sec-2010-02 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- ASA-2010-116: wireshark security update (RHSA-2010-0360).
- wnpa-sec-2010-02 : LWRES vulnerability in WiresharkŪ version 0.9.0 to 1.2.5.
- BID-37985: Wireshark Dissector LWRES Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2010-0304: Multiple buffer overflows in the LWRES dissector in Wireshark 0.9.15 through 1.0.10 and 1.2.0 through 1.2.5 allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via a malformed packet, as demonstrated using a stack-based buffer overflow to the dissect_getaddrsbyname_request function.
- DSA-1983: wireshark -- several vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 61987: Wireshark LWRES Dissector dissect_getaddrsbyname_request Remote Overflow
- RHSA-2010-0360: Moderate: wireshark security update
- SA38257: Wireshark LWRES Dissector Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- SA39714: Avaya Products Wireshark Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1023516: Wireshark Buffer Overflows in LWRES Dissector Let Remote Users Deny Service
- SUSE-SR:2010:007: SUSE Security Summary Report
- Avaya Communication Manager 2.0
- Avaya Communication Manager 3.0
- Avaya Communication Manager 4.0
- Avaya Modular Messaging 2.0
- Avaya SIP Enablement Services
- Debian Debian Linux 5.0
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.8.z AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.8.z ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client Workstation
- Wireshark Wireshark 0.9.15
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.1
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.10
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.2
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.3
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.4
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.5
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.6
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.7
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.8
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.0.9
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.0
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.1
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.2
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.3
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.4
- Wireshark Wireshark 1.2.5
Jan 28, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.