Hybserv2 private message denial of service
|hybserv2-privatemessage-dos (55992)||Medium Risk|
Hybserv2 is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an error when processing private messages. By sending a specially-crafted private message containing ":help \t" to the MemoServ service, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the service to crash.
Denial of Service
Apply the appropriate patch for your system. See References.
- Debian Bug report logs - #550389: hybserv: misparsing when sent commands with tabs.
- Hybrid IRC Services Web site: Hybserv2.
- BID-38006: Hybserv2 ':help' Command Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2010-0303: mystring.c in hybserv in IRCD-Hybrid (aka Hybrid2 IRC Services) 1.9.2 through 1.9.4 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (daemon crash) via a :help \t private message to the MemoServ service.
- DSA-1982: hybserv -- denial of service
- OSVDB ID: 61988: Hybrid2 IRC Services MemoServ Service Private Message Remote DoS
- SA38352: Hybrid2 IRC Services Private Message Processing Denial of Service
- Debian Debian Linux 5.0
- Hybrid IRC services Hybserv2 1.9.2
- Hybrid IRC services Hybserv2 1.9.3
- Hybrid IRC services Hybserv2 1.9.4
Oct 09, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.