Symantec Antivirus and Symantec Endpoint Protection on-demand scanning denial of service
|symantec-ondemand-dos (56354)||Medium Risk|
Symantec Antivirus and Symantec Endpoint Protection are vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by and error when tamper protection is disabled. By denying read access to the application, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the on-demand scan functionality to fail and possibly launch further attacks against the system.
Denial of Service
Refer to SYM10-004 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- SYM10-002: Symantec Event Manipulation Potential Scan Bypass.
- BID-38219: Symantec AntiVirus Scan Evasion Vulnerability
- CVE-2010-0106: The on-demand scanning in Symantec AntiVirus 10.0.x and 10.1.x before MR9, AntiVirus 10.2.x, and Client Security 3.0.x and 3.1.x before MR9, when Tamper protection is disabled, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (prevention of on-demand scanning) via specific events that prevent the user from having read access to unspecified resources.
- OSVDB ID: 62414: Symantec Multiple Products On-demand Scanning Unspecified Bypass
- SA38653: Symantec Products Scanning Bypass Weakness
- SECTRACK ID: 1023621: Symantec AntiVirus Event Management Flaw Lets Remote Users Bypass On-Demand Scanning
- VUPEN/ADV-2010-0410: Symantec Products Event Manipulation Scan Bypass Weakness
- Symantec AntiVirus 10.0
- Symantec AntiVirus 10.1
- Symantec AntiVirus 10.2
- Symantec Client Security 3.0
- Symantec Client Security 3.1
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 11
Feb 17, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.