IrfanView RLE compressed PSD images buffer overflow
|irfanview-rle-psd-bo (58549)||High Risk|
IrfanView is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking when processing malformed RLE compressed PSD images. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted PSD image file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of IrfanView (4.27 or later), available from the IrfanView Web site. See References.
- IrfanView Web site: IrfanView - Official Homepage - one of the most popular viewers worldwide.
- Secunia Research 12/05/2010: IrfanView PSD RLE Decompression Buffer Overflow.
- BID-40105: IrfanView RLE Compressed '.psd' File Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2010-1510: Heap-based buffer overflow in IrfanView before 4.27 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted PSD image with RLE compression.
- OSVDB ID: 64628: IrfanView RLE Compressed PSD Image Handling Overflow
- SA39036: IrfanView PSD Image Parsing Two Vulnerabilities
- Irfanview IrfanView 4.25
May 12, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.