Kingsoft WebShield KAVSafe.sys privilege escalation
|webshield-kavsafe-privilege-escalation (58780)||High Risk|
Kingsoft WebShield could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges on the system, caused by an error in the KAVSafe.sys driver. By sending a specially-crafted 830020D4h IOCTL request, a local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to corrupt kernel memory and execute arbitrary code on the system with SYSTEM level privileges.
Upgrade to the latest version of WebShield (2010.5.21.727 or later), available from the Kingsoft Web site. See References.
- Kingsoft Web site: WebShield.
- Offensive Security Exploit Database [05-23-2010]: Kingsoft WebShield KAVSafe.sys <= 2010.4.14.609(2010.5.23) Kernel Mode Local Priv. Escalation .
- BID-40342: Kingsoft Webshield 'KAVSafe.sys' Driver IOCTL Handling Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- CVE-2010-2031: KAVSafe.sys 2010.4.14.609 and earlier, as used in Kingsoft Webshield 220.127.116.11 and earlier, allows local users to overwrite arbitrary kernel memory via a crafted request to IOCTL 0x830020d4 on the KAVSafe device.
- OSVDB ID: 64833: Kingsoft WebShield KAVSafe.sys IOCTL Handling Memory Corruption
- SA39916: Kingsoft WebShield KAVSafe.sys IOCTL Handling Vulnerability
- Kingsoft WebShield 18.104.22.168
May 23, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.