IBM Communications Server for AIX APPC denial of service
|csa-appc-dos (58874)||Medium Risk|
IBM Communications Server for AIX is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an error when handling APPC packets. By sending specially-crafted APPC data with an incorrect length in the GDSID, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the communication server to crash.
Denial of Service
Refer to IBM APAR IZ68810 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- IBM APAR IZ68810: CSAIX CRASH WHILE PROCESSING APPC DATA WITH INCORRECT LENGTH..
- BID-40372: IBM Communications Server for AIX Remote Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2010-2090: The npb_protocol_error function in sna V5router64 in IBM Communications Server for Windows 6.1.3 and Communications Server for AIX (aka CSAIX or CS/AIX) in sna.rte before 126.96.36.199 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (daemon crash) via APPC data containing a GDSID variable with a GDS length that is too small.
- OSVDB ID: 65207: IBM Communications Server for AIX APPC Remote DoS
- SA39909: IBM Communications Server for AIX APPC Denial of Service
- IBM Communications Server for AIX 6.3
May 19, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.