OpenSSL EVP_PKEY_verify_recover() security bypass
|openssl-evppkeyverifyrecover-sec-bypass (59040)||Medium Risk|
OpenSSL could allow a remote attacker to bypass security restrictions, caused by the return of an uninitialized buffer instead of an error code when the verification recovery process fails. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability to bypass RSA key validation in the EVP_PKEY_verify_recover() function.
Upgrade to the latest version of OpenSSL (1.0.0a or later), available from the OpenSSL Web site. See References.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- An OpenSource VooDoo cIRCle - security advisory 20100624-01: In Win32/64 binary releases there are vulnerable OpenSSL DLL files.
- An OpenSource VooDoo cIRCle - security advisory 20100624-02: In Win32 binary release of sub-project XTelnet there are vulnerable OpenSSL DLL files.
- IBM Security Bulletin 1627934: IBM Sterling Connect:Enterprise for UNIX is affected by multiple vulnerabilities in OpenSSL.
- IBM Security Bulletin 1633107: IBM Sterling Connect:Express for UNIX is affected by multiple vulnerabilities in OpenSSL.
- IBM Security Bulletin 1637929: IBM Tivoli Netcool System Service Monitors/Application Service Monitors is affected by multiple OpenSSL vulnerabilities.
- Kolab Web Site: Kolab Server 2.2 Release Notes.
- OpenSSL Security Advisory [01-Jun-2010]: Two security flaws have been fixed in OpenSSL 0.9.8o and OpenSSL 1.0.0a.
- OpenSSL Web site: OpenSSL.
- BID-40503: OpenSSL 'EVP_PKEY_verify_recover()' Invalid Return Value Security Bypass Vulnerability
- CVE-2010-1633: RSA verification recovery in the EVP_PKEY_verify_recover function in OpenSSL 1.x before 1.0.0a, as used by pkeyutl and possibly other applications, returns uninitialized memory upon failure, which might allow context-dependent attackers to bypass intended key requirements or obtain sensitive information via unspecified vectors. NOTE: some of these details are obtained from third party information.
- OSVDB ID: 65058: OpenSSL Verification Recovery Process EVP_PKEY_verify_recover() RSA Key Validation Bypass
- SA40024: OpenSSL Two Vulnerabilities
- SA40345: VooDoo cIRCle OpenSSL Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SA40396: Kolab Server Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SA57353: IBM Storage System DS8870 OpenSSL Multiple Vulnerabilities
- VUPEN/ADV-2010-1313: OpenSSL Memory Corruption and Security Bypass Vulnerabilities
- IBM Netcool System Service Monitor 4.0
- IBM Sterling Connect Enterprise for UNIX 1.4
- IBM Sterling Connect Enterprise for UNIX 1.5
- IBM Sterling Connect Enterprise for UNIX 2.4
- IBM Sterling Connect Enterprise for UNIX 2.5
- Kolab Kolab Server 2.0.0
- Kolab Kolab Server 2.1
- Kolab Kolab Server 2.2
- OpenSSL OpenSSL 1.0.0
- VooDoo cIRCLe 1.1.x
- VooDoo cIRCLe Xtelnet 0.4.3
Jun 01, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.