XnView MBM buffer overflow
|xnview-mbm-bo (59421)||High Risk|
XnView is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking when processing MBM (MultiBitMap) files. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted MBM file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with elevated privileges or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of XnView (1.97.5 or later), available from the XnView Web site. See References.
- CORE-2010-0514: XnView MBM Processing Heap Overflow .
- XnView Web site: Free graphic and photo viewer - XnView - GRAPHIC VIEWER.
- BID-40852: XnView MBM File Remote Heap Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2010-1932: Heap-based buffer overflow in XnView 1.97.4 and possibly earlier allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a MultiBitMap (MBM) file with a Paint Data Section that contains a malformed Encoding field.
- OSVDB ID: 65534: XnView MBM File Paint Data Section Encoding Field Overflow
- SA40141: XnView MBM Processing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- SECTRACK ID: 1024100: XnView Heap Overflow in Processing MBM Files Lets Remote Users Execute Arbitrary Code
- VUPEN/ADV-2010-1468: XnView MBM File Processing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- XnView XnView 1.97.4
Jun 14, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.