Ghostscript iscan.c buffer overflow
|ghostscript-iscan-bo (60380)||High Risk|
Ghostscript is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by iscan.c when processing malicious PDF files. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted PDF file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- Ghostscript Bugzilla Bug 690523: gs pdf parsing buffer overflow .
- Ghostscript Web site: Ghostscript.
- BID-41593: Ghostscript 'iscan.c' PDF Handling Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2009-4897: Buffer overflow in gs/psi/iscan.c in Ghostscript 8.64 and earlier allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service (memory corruption) via a crafted PDF document containing a long name.
- DSA-2093: ghostscript -- several vulnerabilities
- MDVSA-2010:134: ghostscript
- MDVSA-2010:135: ghostscript
- OSVDB ID: 66277: Ghostscript on Ubuntu gs/psi/iscan.c Malformed PDF/PS File Arbitrary Code Execution
- Debian Debian Linux 5.0
- Ghostscript Ghostscript 8.64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0 X86_64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 2008.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 4.0 X86_64
- Mandriva Enterprise Server 5
- Mandriva Enterprise Server 5 X86_64
- Mandriva Linux 2009.0 X86_64
- Mandriva Linux 2009.0
- Mandriva Linux 2009.1
- Mandriva Linux 2009.1 X86_64
- Mandriva Linux 2010
- Mandriva Linux 2010 X86_64
Jun 16, 2009
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.