IBM AIX sa_snap buffer overflow
|ibm-aix-sasnap-bo (61774)||Medium Risk|
IBM AIX is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the /usr/esa/sbin/sa_snap program. A local authenticated attacker with system group user privileges could exploit this vulnerability using unknown attack vectors to overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Refer to the IBM SECURITY ADVISORY for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- IBM SECURITY ADVISORY: AIX security vulnerabilities in sa_snap.
- BID-43207: IBM AIX Local Privilege Escalation and Security Bypass Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2010-3405: Buffer overflow in sa_snap in the bos.esagent fileset in IBM AIX 6.1, 5.3, and earlier and VIOS 2.1, 1.5, and earlier allows local users to leverage system group membership and gain privileges via unspecified vectors.
- OSVDB ID: 68099: IBM AIX bos.esagent Fileset sa_snap Local Overflow
- SA41446: IBM AIX sa_snap Two Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1024430: IBM AIX Buffer Overflow in sa_snap Lets Local Users Gain Elevated Privileges
- VUPEN/ADV-2010-2377: IBM AIX Local Buffer Overflow and File Deletion Vulnerabilities
- IBM AIX 5.3
- IBM AIX 6.1
- IBM VIOS 1.5
- IBM VIOS 2.1
Sep 13, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.