Linux ePerl buffer overflow
|linux-eperl-bo (6198)||Medium Risk|
Embedded Perl (ePerl), included with several free Linux distributions, is vulnerable to a buffer overflow. In systems where ePerl has been installed setuid root, a remote attacker can overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system.
For Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (alias potato):
Upgrade to the latest version of ePerl (2.2.14-0.7potato2 or later), as listed in DSA-034-1. See References.
For Linux-Mandrake 7.1 and Corporate Server 1.0.1:
Upgrade to the latest version of ePerl (2.2.14-7.2 or later), as listed in MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2001:027 : eperl. See References.
For Linux-Mandrake 7.2:
Upgrade to the latest version of ePerl (2.2.14-7.1 or later), as listed in MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2001:027 : eperl. See References.
For SuSE Linux 6.3, 6.4, 7.0 and 7.1:
Upgrade to the latest version of ePerl (2.2.14 or later), as listed in SuSE Security Announcement SuSE-SA:2001:08. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2001:027: eperl.
- SuSE Security Announcement SuSE-SA:2001:008: eperl.
- BID-2464: ePerl Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-0458: Multiple buffer overflows in ePerl before 2.2.14-0.7 allow local and remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands.
- DSA-034: ePerl -- remote root exploit
- OSVDB ID: 10381: ePerl Multiple Unspecified Remote/Local Overflows
- Debian Debian Linux 2.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 7.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 7.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 1.0.1
- Ralf S. Engelschall ePerl prior to 2.2.14
Mar 07, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this