FUSE fusermount tool denial of service
|fuse-fusermount-tool-dos (62986)||Medium Risk|
FUSE is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a race condition in the fusermount tool. By unmounting a user filesystem using specially-crafted mtab entries, a local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause a denial of service.
Denial of Service
Apply the appropriate patch for your system. See References.
- FUSE Web site: Filesystem in Userspace.
- hafldog Web site: Unmount Any Filesystem Using fusermount.
- BID-44623: FUSE fusermount Tool Race Condition Vulnerability
- CVE-2010-3879: FUSE, possibly 2.8.5 and earlier, allows local users to create mtab entries with arbitrary pathnames, and consequently unmount any filesystem, via a symlink attack on the parent directory of the mountpoint of a FUSE filesystem, a different vulnerability than CVE-2010-0789.
- OSVDB ID: 70520: Fuse fusermount Arbitrary Unmount Local DoS
- RHSA-2011-1083: Moderate: fuse security update
- SA42961: FUSE fusermount Arbitrary Unmount Security Issue
- SUSE-SR:2011:005: SUSE Security Summary Report
- FUSE FUSE
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Server
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Desktop 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux HPC Node 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Server EUS 6.1.z
Nov 03, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.