Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition Intel Alert Handler service denial of service
|symantec-antivirus-handler-service-dos (64028)||Medium Risk|
Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an error in the Intel Alert Handler service when processing the CommandLine field in AMS requests. By sending a specially-crafted request, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the service to crash.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection (11.0 or later), available from the Symantec Web site. See References.
- CORE-2010-0728: Symantec Intel Handler Service Remote DoS.
- Symantec Web site: Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition.
- BID-45368: Symantec Antivirus ''hndlrsvc.exe' Denial of Service Vulnerability
- BID-45936: Symantec Intel Alert Management System (CVE-2010-0110) Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2010-3268: The GetStringAMSHandler function in prgxhndl.dll in hndlrsvc.exe in the Intel Alert Handler service (aka Symantec Intel Handler service) in Intel Alert Management System (AMS), as used in Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition 10.1.4.4010 on Windows 2000 SP4 and Symantec Endpoint Protection before 11.x, does not properly validate the CommandLine field of an AMS request, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) via a crafted request.
- OSVDB ID: 70002: Symantec Antivirus AMS Intel Alert Handler hndlrsvc.exe prgxhndl.dll GetStringAMSHandler Function Remote DoS
- SA42593: Symantec Antivirus Alert Management System Denial of Service Vulnerability
- SA43099: Symantec Products Intel Alert Management System Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SECTRACK ID: 1024866: Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition Input Validation Flaw in Intel Handler Service Lets Remote Users Deny Service
- Symantec AntiVirus 10.1.4.4010 Corporate
Dec 13, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.