pimd pimd.dump symlink
|pimd-pimd-symlink (64528)||Medium Risk|
pimd could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. The /var/tmp/pimd.dump and /var/tmp/pimd.cache temporary files are created insecurely. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link from a temporary file to various files on the system, which could allow the attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system with elevated privileges.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system. See References.
- oss-security Mailing List, Fri, 7 Jan 2011 11:20:33 +0000: CVE Request - pimd - Insecure file creation in /var/tmp.
- pimd Web page: pimd.
- Rt Announce Mailing List: RT 3.8.9 Released.
- BID-45715: pimd Multiple Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2011-0007: pimd 2.1.5 and possibly earlier versions allows user-assisted local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on (1) pimd.dump when a USR1 signal is sent, or (2) pimd.cache when USR2 is sent.
- DSA-2147: pimd -- insecure temporary files
- OSVDB ID: 70305: pimd Multiple Temporary File Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- SA42759: pimd Insecure Temporary Files Security Issues
- SA43438: RT Information Disclosure Vulnerability
- Bestpractical RT 3.8.8
- pimd pimd 2.1.5
Jan 07, 2011
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.