GIMP SPHERE DESIGNER buffer overflow
|gimp-sphere-designer-bo (64581)||High Risk|
GIMP is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the SPHERE DESIGNER plugin. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted plugin configuration file containing a long Number of lights field, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system. See References.
- Debian Bug report logs - #608497: gimp: four buffer overflows.
- GIMP Web site: GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program.
- Sun Product Security Blog, Nov 01, 2011: Multiple Buffer Overflow vulnerabilities in GIMP.
- CVE-2010-4541: Stack-based buffer overflow in the loadit function in plug-ins/common/sphere-designer.c in the SPHERE DESIGNER plugin in GIMP 2.6.11 allows user-assisted remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code via a long Number of lights field in a plugin configuration file. NOTE: it may be uncommon to obtain a GIMP plugin configuration file from an untrusted source that is separate from the distribution of the plugin itself.
- DSA-2426: gimp -- several vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 70281: GIMP plug-ins/common/sphere-designer.c loadit() Function Overflow
- RHSA-2011-0837: Moderate: gimp security update
- RHSA-2011-0838: Moderate: gimp security update
- RHSA-2011-0839: Moderate: gimp security update
- SA42771: Gimp Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SA46701: Oracle Solaris Gimp Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SUSE-SR:2011:005: SUSE Security Summary Report
- GNU Gimp 2.6.11
- Oracle Solaris 11 Express
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.8.z ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.8.z AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Server
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Desktop 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux EUS 5.6.z
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Long Life 5.6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Server EUS 6.1.z
- Sun Solaris 10
Dec 31, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.