GNU FriBidi log2vis_utf8 buffer overflow
|fribidi-log2visutf8-bo (64619)||High Risk|
GNU FriBidi is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the log2vis_utf8 function. By sending a specially-crafted Arabic UTF-8 string, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- FriBidi Web site: FriBidi.
- Red Hat Bugzilla ¿ Bug 565997 : CVE-2010-3444 pyfribidi: buffer overflow when processing Arabic UTF-8 strings.
- BID-43592: FriBidi Python binding (pyfribidi) Heap Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2010-3444: Buffer overflow in the log2vis_utf8 function in pyfribidi.c in GNU FriBidi 0.19.1, 0.19.2, and possibly other versions, as used in PyFriBidi 0.10.1, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted Arabic UTF-8 string that causes original 2-byte UTF-8 sequences to be transformed into 3-byte sequences.
- OSVDB ID: 70365: PyFriBidi GNU FriBidi pyfribidi.c log2vis_utf8 Function Arabic UTF-8 String Handling Overflow
- SA42868: Fedora update for pyfribidi
- Behdad Esfahbod GNU FriBidi 0.19.1
- Behdad Esfahbod GNU FriBidi 0.19.2
- Kobi Zamir Pyfribidi 0.10.1
Oct 01, 2010
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.