IBM Cognos 8 Business Intelligence pathinfo cross-site scripting
|ibm-cognos-pathinfo-xss (64660)||Medium Risk|
IBM Cognos 8 Business Intelligence is vulnerable to cross-site scripting, caused by improper validation of user-supplied input by the cognos.cgi script. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using the pathinfo parameter in a specially-crafted URL to execute script in a victim's Web browser within the security context of the hosting Web site, once the URL is clicked. An attacker could use this vulnerability to steal the victim's cookie-based authentication credentials.
Upgrade to the latest version of Cognos 8 Business Intelligence (8.4.1 FP1 or 8.4.1 FP2 or later), available from the IBM Support & download Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Jan 12 2011 : SECURITY ADVISORY IBM Cognos 8 Business Intelligence 8.4.1.
- IBM Support & download Web site: IBM Cognos 8 Business Intelligence 8.4.1 Fix Pack 1.
- BID-45781: IBM Cognos 8 Business Intelligence 'pathinfo' Parameter Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability
- CVE-2011-0486: Cross-site scripting (XSS) vulnerability in cognos.cgi in IBM Cognos 8 Business Intelligence (BI) 8.4.1 before FP1 allows remote attackers to inject arbitrary web script or HTML via the pathinfo parameter.
- OSVDB ID: 70485: IBM Cognos 8 Business Intelligence cognos.cgi pathinfo Parameter XSS
- SECTRACK ID: 1024954: IBM Cognos Input Validation Flaw in 'cognos.cgi' Permits Cross-Site Scripting Attacks
- IBM Cognos Business Intelligence 8.4.1
Jan 12, 2011
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.