MaraDNS compress_add_dlabel_points() buffer overflow
|maradns-compressadddlabelpoints-bo (64885)||High Risk|
MaraDNS is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the compress_add_dlabel_points() function. By sending a specially-crafted request, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system. See References.
- Debian Bug report logs - #610834: maradns: crash on long name queries.
- MaraDNS Web site: Download MaraDNS.
- BID-45966: MaraDNS 'compress_add_dlabel_points()' Heap Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2011-0520: The compress_add_dlabel_points function in dns/Compress.c in MaraDNS 1.4.03, 1.4.05, and probably other versions allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (segmentation fault) and possibly execute arbitrary code via a long DNS hostname with a large number of labels, which triggers a heap-based buffer overflow.
- DSA-2196: maradns -- buffer overflow
- OSVDB ID: 70630: MaraDNS dns/Compress.c compress_add_dlabel_points() Function Remote Overflow DoS
- SA43027: MaraDNS compress_add_dlabel_points() Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- MaraDNS MaraDNS 1.4.05
Jan 23, 2011
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.