VLC Media Player .mkv code execution
|vlc-mkv-code-execution (65045)||High Risk|
VLC Media Player could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by an error in the MKV demuxer. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted MKV file, a remote attacker could execute arbitrary code on the system.
Refer to VideoLAN Security Advisory 1102 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- Offensive Security Exploit Database [2011-02-08]: VideoLAN VLC MKV Memory Corruption.
- VideoLAN Security Advisory 1102: Insufficient input validation in MKV demuxer.
- BID-46060: VLC Media Player MKV File Parsing Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2011-0531: demux/mkv/mkv.hpp in the MKV demuxer plugin in VideoLAN VLC media player 188.8.131.52 and earlier allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) and execute arbitrary commands via a crafted MKV (WebM or Matroska) file that triggers memory corruption, related to class mismatching and the MKV_IS_ID macro.
- DSA-2159: vlc -- missing input sanitising
- OSVDB ID: 70698: VLC Media Player MKV Demuxer modules/demux/mkv/mkv.hpp MKV_IS_ID Macro Arbitrary Code Execution
- SA43131: VLC Media Player MKV Demuxer MKV_IS_ID Vulnerability
- VideoLAN VLC Media Player 1.1.6
Jan 30, 2011
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.