iPlanet Netscape Enterprise Web Publisher URI handling buffer overflow
|netscape-enterprise-uri-bo (6554)||High Risk|
Netscape Enterprise Server (iPlanet Web Server) is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the Web Publisher feature. The Web Publisher feature fails to properly handle the Uniform Resource Identifier (URI). By sending an HTTP request containing 2000 characters or more and specifying one of the Web Publisher?s specific methods, an attacker can overflow a buffer to gain shell access to the server or possibly cause a denial of service against the affected server.
Apply the NSAPI patch, available from the Important iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP 3-7 Product Alert dated May 11, 2001. See References.
- eEye Digital Security Advisory AD20010515: iPlanet - Netscape Enterprise Web Publisher Buffer Overflow.
- Important iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP 3-7 Product Alert: May 11, 2001: Recommend Immediate Patch/Upgrade.
- BID-2732: iPlanet Web Publisher Remote Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-0746: Buffer overflow in Web Publisher in iPlanet Web Server Enterprise Edition 4.1 and earlier allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service and possibly execute arbitrary code via a request for a long URI with (1) GETPROPERTIES, (2) GETATTRIBUTENAMES, or other methods.
- OSVDB ID: 3235: iPlanet Web Publisher Remote Overflow
- Netscape Enterprise Server 4.0
- Netscape Enterprise Server 4.1
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP5
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP6
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP7
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP3
- Sun iPlanet Web Server 4.1 SP4
May 11, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this