Qpopper long username buffer overflow
|qpopper-username-bo (6647)||High Risk|
Qualcomm Qpopper is vulnerable to a buffer overflow. By sending a username containing 64 characters or more to the server during the login process, a remote attacker can overflow a buffer to gain root privileges on the system.
Upgrade to the latest version of Qpopper (4.0.3 or later), available from the Qualcomm FTP site. See References.
For Caldera SCO OpenServer 5.0.6a and earlier:
Apply the patch for your system, as listed in Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2001-SCO.8. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sat Jun 02 2001 - 10:37:44 CDT: Qpopper 4.0.3 **** Fixes Buffer Overflow **** (fwd).
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Jun 05 2001 - 20:42:37 CDT: Re: Qpopper 4.0.3 **** Fixes Buffer Overflow **** (fwd).
- Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2001-SCO.8: OpenServer: /etc/popper buffer.
- Qualcomm FTP site: Qpopper Download Area.
- Vuln-Dev Mailing List, 2001-04-20 3:15:29: Qpopper 4.0 Buffer Overflow.
- BID-2811: Qualcomm qpopper Username Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-1046: Buffer overflow in qpopper (aka qpop or popper) 4.0 through 4.0.2 allows remote attackers gain privileges via a long username.
- OSVDB ID: 776: Qpopper .qpopper-options Username Handling Overflow
- Qualcomm Qpopper 4.0
- Qualcomm Qpopper 4.0.1
- Qualcomm Qpopper 4.0.2
- SCO SCO OpenServer 5.0.6a and prior
Jun 02, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this