SunOS restore utility could allow elevated privileges
|sun-restore-gain-privileges (6695)||High Risk|
SunOS could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges, caused by a vulnerability in the restore utility. The restore utility is installed suid root. This allows a local attacker with an unprivileged account to use this vulnerability to gain root privileges.
No remedy available as of July 1, 2014.
- CERT Advisory CA-1989-02: Sun Restore Hole.
- CIAC Information Bulletin CIAC-08: Announcement of Vulnerability in the SunOS Restore Utility.
- BID-3: SunOS restore Vulnerability
- CVE-1999-1122: Vulnerability in restore in SunOS 4.0.3 and earlier allows local users to gain privileges.
- OSVDB ID: 879: SunOS /sbin/restore Local Privilege Escalation
- Sun SunOS 4.0
- Sun SunOS 4.0.1
- Sun SunOS 4.0.3
Jul 26, 1989
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this