QEMU KVM virtio-blk driver privilege escalation
|kvm-virtioblk-priv-escalation (67062)||High Risk|
QEMU KVM could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges on the system, caused by buffer overflow errors in the virtio_blk_handle_write() and virtio_blk_handle_read() functions. By sending specially-crafted requests to the virtio-blk driver, a local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause a denial of service or gain elevated privileges on the system.
Refer to QEMU GIT Repository for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- QEMU GIT Repository: QEMU.
- QEMU Web page: QEMU.
- Qemu-devel: virtio-blk.c handling of i/o which is not a 512 multiple.
- BID-47546: QEMU KVM 'virtio-blk' Driver Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- CVE-2011-1750: Multiple heap-based buffer overflows in the virtio-blk driver (hw/virtio-blk.c) in qemu-kvm 0.14.0 allow local guest users to cause a denial of service (guest crash) and possibly gain privileges via a (1) write request to the virtio_blk_handle_write function or (2) read request to the virtio_blk_handle_read function that is not properly aligned.
- DSA-2230: qemu-kvm -- several vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 73756: KVM qemu-kvm hw/virtio-blk.c Multiple Function Local DoS
- RHSA-2011-0534: Important: qemu-kvm security, bug fix, and enhancement update
- SA44132: KVM qemu-kvm virtio-blk Driver Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- Fabrice Bellard QEMU 0.14.0
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Server
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Desktop 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux HPC Node 6
Mar 30, 2011
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.