GIMP PCX image buffer overflow
|gimp-pcximage-bo (67787)||High Risk|
GIMP is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by an integer overflow in the Personal Computer eXchange (PCX) image file plug-in. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted PCX image file, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with elevated privileges or cause the application to crash.
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- ASA-2011-162: gimp security update (RHSA-2011-0838).
- GIMP Web site: GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program.
- BID-48057: GIMP PCX Image Parsing Heap Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2011-1178: Multiple integer overflows in the load_image function in file-pcx.c in the Personal Computer Exchange (PCX) plugin in GIMP 2.6.x and earlier allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) or possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted PCX image that triggers a heap-based buffer overflow.
- OSVDB ID: 72753: GIMP Personal Computer Exchange Plugin file-pcx.c load_image Function Crafted PCX Image Handling Overflow
- RHSA-2011-0837: Moderate: gimp security update
- RHSA-2011-0838: Moderate: gimp security update
- Avaya Aura System Manager 6.1.x
- GIMP GIMP 2.6.7
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.8.z AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4.8.z ES
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client
- RedHat Enterprise Linux EUS 5.6.z
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Long Life 5.6
Jun 01, 2011
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.