PHP SafeMode allows user to gain elevated privileges
|php-safemode-elevate-privileges (6787)||High Risk|
PHP could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges, caused by a vulnerability in the SafeMode toolkit. PHP could allow a local attacker to upload a custom PHP script on the system and use a simple query string to execute the script as the HTTP process UID to gain elevated privileges.
Upgrade to the latest version of PHP (4.0.6 or later), available from the PHP Downloads Web site. See References.
For Mandrake Linux:
Upgrade to the latest package as listed below. Refer to MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2002:059 for more information. See References.
Linux-Mandrake 7.1 and Corporate Server 1.0.1: 4.0.6-6.4mdk or later
Linux-Mandrake 7.2: 4.0.6-6.3mdk or later
Mandrake Linux 8.0 and 8.0 (PPC): 4.0.6-6.2mdk or later
Mandrake Linux 8.1 and 8.1 (IA64): 4.0.6-6.1mdk or later
For Sun and Cobalt:
Upgrade to the latest patch appropriate for your system. See Sun Alert ID: 46724 in References for more details.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sat Jun 30 2001 - 05:40:06 CDT: php breaks safe mode.
- CIAC Information Bulletin N-091: Sun Cobalt PHP SafeMode Vulnerability.
- PHP Downloads Web site: Downloads.
- Sun Alert ID: 46724: The PHP on Sun/Cobalt Platforms Have Exploitable Vulnerabilities.
- BID-2954: PHP SafeMode Arbitrary File Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-1246: PHP 4.0.5 through 4.1.0 in safe mode does not properly cleanse the 5th parameter to the mail() function, which allows local users and possibly remote attackers to execute arbitrary commands via shell metacharacters.
- MDKSA-2002:059: Updated php packages fix mail() vulnerability
- RHSA-2002-102: New PHP packages fix vulnerability in safemode
- RHSA-2002-129: php security update
- RHSA-2003-159: New PHP packages fix vulnerabilities
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 7.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 7.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.0 PPC
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1 IA64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux Corporate Server 1.0.1
- PHP PHP 4.0.5
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS
- RedHat Linux 7
- RedHat Linux 7.1
- RedHat Linux 7.1 for iSeries
- RedHat Linux 7.1 for pSeries
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- Sun Cobalt Qube 3
- Sun Cobalt RaQ 4
- Sun Cobalt RaQ XTR
Jun 30, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this