ISC BIND UPDATE denial of service
|iscbind-update-dos (68375)||Medium Risk|
ISC BIND is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an error when handling UPDATE requests. By sending a specially-crafted UPDATE request, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to terminate the named process.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of ISC BIND (9.8.0-P4 or later), available from the Internet Software Consortium (ISC) Web site. See References.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- F5 Web site: sol12986: BIND vulnerability CVE-2011-2464.
- Internet Software Consortium (ISC) Web site: ISC BIND 9 Remote packet Denial of Service against Authoritative and Recursive Servers.
- BID-48566: ISC BIND 9 Unspecified Packet Processing Remote Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2011-2464: Unspecified vulnerability in ISC BIND 9 9.6.x before 9.6-ESV-R4-P3, 9.7.x before 9.7.3-P3, and 9.8.x before 9.8.0-P4 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (named daemon crash) via a crafted UPDATE request.
- DSA-2272: bind9 -- denial of service
- OSVDB ID: 73605: ISC BIND UPDATE Request Parsing Remote DoS
- RHSA-2011-0926: Important: bind security update
- SA45082: ISC BIND UPDATE Request Processing Denial of Service Vulnerability
- SA45185: ISC BIND Multiple Denial of Service Vulnerabilities
- SA45412: Oracle Solaris BIND UPDATE Request Processing Denial of Service Vulnerability
- SA45868: F5 BIG-IP BIND UPDATE Request Processing Denial of Service Vulnerability
- US-CERT VU#142646: ISC BIND 9 named denial of service vulnerability
- F5 BIG-IP 10.0
- ISC BIND 9.4-ESV-R3
- ISC BIND 9.6-ESV-R2
- ISC BIND 9.6.3
- ISC BIND 9.7.1
- ISC BIND 9.8.0
- Oracle Solaris 11 Express
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 5 Client Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Server
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Desktop 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux EUS 5.6.z
- RedHat Enterprise Linux HPC Node 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Long Life 5.6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Server EUS 6.1.z
- Sun Solaris 10
- Sun Solaris 8
- Sun Solaris 9
Jul 05, 2011
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.