libpng pngerror.c denial of service
|libpng-pngerror-dos (68517)||Medium Risk|
libpng is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an off-by-one error in pngerror.c. By persuading a victim to view a specially-crafted PNG image file, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the application to crash.
Denial of Service
Apply the patch for this vulnerability, available from the libpng GIT Repository. See References.
- libpng GIT Repository: libpng.
- libpng Web Site: libpng is the official PNG reference library.
- BID-48474: libpng 'pngerror.c' Off-By-One Error Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2011-2501: The png_format_buffer function in pngerror.c in libpng 1.0.x before 1.0.55, 1.2.x before 1.2.45, 1.4.x before 1.4.8, and 1.5.x before 1.5.4 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) via a crafted PNG image that triggers an out-of-bounds read during the copying of error-message data. NOTE: this vulnerability exists because of a CVE-2004-0421 regression. NOTE: this is called an off-by-one error by some sources.
- DSA-2287: libpng -- several vulnerabilities
- RHSA-2011-1105: Moderate: libpng security update
- SA45046: libpng png_format_buffer() Denial of Service Vulnerability
- libpng libpng 1.2.23
- Pardus Linux 2009
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Server
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Desktop 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux HPC Node 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Server EUS 6.1.z
Jun 07, 2011
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.