TCL/TK insecure library search path could allow arbitrary code execution
|tcltk-insecure-library-search (6869)||High Risk|
The TCL/TK (Tool Command Language/Toolkit) package, included with several Linux distributions, could allow a local attacker to execute arbitrary code, caused by an insecure library search path. TCL searches for dynamic libraries in the current working directory, which is usually world writable. If a local attacker places malicious libraries in the working directory, the attacker can execute arbitrary code on the system with privileges of the current user once the program that uses TCL within the directory is executed.
For Conectiva Linux 6.0:
Upgrade to the latest version of tcltk (8.3.2-2U60_2cl or later), as listed in Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLA-2001:409. See References.
For Conectiva Linux 7.0:
Upgrade to the latest version of tcltk (8.3.3-4U70_1cl or later), as listed in Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLA-2001:409. See References.
For Red Hat Linux 7.0 and 7.1:
Upgrade to the latest version of tcltk (8.3.3-69 or later), as listed in RHSA-2002:148-06. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for patch or upgrade information.
- Bugzilla Bug - 28226: tcl looks in the current directory for libs.
- Conectiva Linux Announcement CLSA-2001:409: Insecure runtime library search path.
- BID-3073: Multiple Linux Vendor TCLTK Unsafe Library Searching Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-1375: tcl/tk package (tcltk) 8.3.1 searches for its libraries in the current working directory before other directories, which could allow local users to execute arbitrary code via a Trojan horse library that is under a user-controlled directory.
- MDKSA-2002:060: Updated tcltk packages fix local vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 5427: tcl/tk Path Variable Arbitrary Program Execution
- RHSA-2002-148: Updated Tcl/Tk packages fix local vulnerability
- Conectiva Linux 6.0
- Conectiva Linux 7.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 7.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.0 PPC
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1 IA64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.2 PPC
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.2
- RedHat Linux 7
- RedHat Linux 7.1
- RedHat Linux 7.1 for iSeries
- RedHat Linux 7.1 for pSeries
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- tcl_tk tcl_tk
Jul 19, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this