BasiliX Webmail allows remote attackers to view arbitrary files
|basilix-webmail-view-files (6873)||Medium Risk|
BasiliX could allow a remote attacker to view arbitrary files on the Web server, caused by a vulnerability in the 'basilix.php3' file. BasiliX Webmail fails to properly filter user-supplied input. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability by sending a specially-crafted HTTP request to BasiliX Webmail to view any file on the system and possibly execute php files.
Apply the quick fix for this vulnerability, available from the BasiliX Web site. See References.
- Basilix Web site: There is a security bug in 1.0.x versions, here's the quick fix:.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Jul 06 2001 - 14:04:55 CDT: basilix bug.
- BID-2995: Basilix Webmail File Disclosure Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-1045: Directory traversal vulnerability in basilix.php3 in Basilix Webmail 1.0.3beta and earlier allows remote attackers to read arbitrary files via a .. (dot dot) in the request_id[DUMMY] parameter.
- OSVDB ID: 8956: Basilix Webmail basilix.php3 request_id[DUMMY] Parameter Traversal Arbitrary File Access
- Murat Arslan BasiliX Webmail 1.02beta
- Murat Arslan BasiliX Webmail 1.03beta
Jul 06, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this