libmodplug WAV buffer overflow
|libmodplug-wav-bo (68983)||High Risk|
libmodplug is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the CSoundFile::ReadWav() function. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted WAV file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of libmodplug (0.8.8.4 or later), available from SourceForge.net Web site. See References.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- Audacious Web site: Audacious.
- ModPlug XMMS GIT Repository : Fix integer overflow (SA45131/A).
- ModPlug XMMS Plugin Web site: ModPlug XMMS Plugin.
- SourceForge.net Web site: ModPlug XMMS Plugin.
- BID-48979: libmodplug Multiple Buffer Overflow and Off-By-One Vulnerabilities
- CVE-2011-2911: Integer overflow in the CSoundFile::ReadWav function in src/load_wav.cpp in libmodplug before 0.8.8.4 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service and possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted WAV file, which triggers a heap-based buffer overflow.
- DSA-2415: libmodplug -- several vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 74208: libmodplug src/load_wav.cpp CSoundFile::ReadWav() Function WAV File Handling Overflow
- RHSA-2011-1264: Important: gstreamer-plugins security update
- SA45131: libmodplug Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SA46032: Audacious Plugins libmodplug Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Audacious Audacious Plugins 3.0
- Libmodplug Libmodplug 0.8.8.3
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 WS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 Desktop
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 AS
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
Aug 03, 2011
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.