ICQ automatically adds user using "Content-Type"
|icq-auto-add-user (7028)||Medium Risk|
ICQ 2000 and Microsoft Internet Explorer could allow a malicious Web site to be automatically added to a contact list, caused by a vulnerability when adding 'Content-Type'. A malicious Web site operator could create a Web page containing arbitrary code, which returns an 'application/x-icq' Content-Type and automatically adds arbitrary UINs to the contact list. An attacker can use this vulnerability to obtain valid email addresses.
No remedy available as of July 6, 2008.
- Black Sun Research Facility Web site: The ICQ Security Tutorial.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Aug 24 2001 - 08:36:20 CDT: Re: Hexyn / Securax Advisory #22 - ICQ Forced Auto-Add Users.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Aug 24 2001 - 12:36:24 CDT: RE: Hexyn / Securax Advisory #22 - ICQ Forced Auto-Add Users.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Aug 24 2001 - 23:13:19 CDT: RE: Hexyn / Securax Advisory #22 - ICQ Forced Auto-Add Users.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Aug 22 2001 - 17:14:10 CDT: Hexyn / Securax Advisory #22 - ICQ Forced Auto-Add Users.
- Insecure.org: ICQ Spoofing.
- BID-3226: ICQ Forced User Addition Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-1305: ICQ 2001a Alpha and earlier allows remote attackers to automatically add arbitrary UINs to an ICQ user's contact list via a URL to a web page with a Content-Type of application/x-icq, which is processed by Internet Explorer.
- OSVDB ID: 9545: ICQ Content-Type Forced UIN Approval
- ICQ ICQ 2000
Aug 17, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this