Bugzilla createaccount.cgi cross-site scripting
|bugzilla-create-account-crosssite (7062)||Medium Risk|
Bugzilla is vulnerable to cross-site scripting, caused by an input validation error in the createaccount.cgi script. A remote attacker could embed malicious script within a URL link to the createaccount.cgi script, which would be executed in the victim's Web browser within the security context of the hosting site, once the link is clicked.
Upgrade to the latest version of Bugzilla (2.14 or later), as listed in Bugzilla Security Advisory dated August 30th, 2001. See References.
For Red Hat Powertools 7.0 and 7.1:
Upgrade to the latest version of Bugzilla (2.14-1 or later), as listed in Red Hat, Inc. RHSA-2001:107-07. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for patch or upgrade information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Aug 29 2001 - 17:55:42 CDT: Security Advisory for Bugzilla v2.13 and older.
- Bugzilla bug pages: Bug 38859 - createaccount.cgi needs to escape untrusted value for e-mail address (but maybe de-escape @ symbol).
- Bugzilla Home page: Bugzilla Project Home Page.
- Bugzilla Security Advisory Aug 30th, 2001: Users of Bugzilla are recommended to update to version 2.14.
- BID-3265: Bugzilla createaccount.cgi Cross-Site Scripting Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-1402: Bugzilla before 2.14 does not properly escape untrusted parameters, which could allow remote attackers to conduct unauthorized activities via cross-site scripting (CSS) and possibly SQL injection attacks on (1) the product or output form variables for reports.cgi, (2) the voteon, bug_id, and user variables for showvotes.cgi, (3) an invalid email address in createaccount.cgi, (4) an invalid ID in showdependencytree.cgi, (5) invalid usernames and other fields in process_bug.cgi, and (6) error messages in buglist.cgi.
- RHSA-2001-107: New bugzilla packages are available
- Mozilla Bugzilla 2.10
- Mozilla Bugzilla 2.12
- Mozilla Bugzilla 2.14
- Mozilla Bugzilla 2.4
- Mozilla Bugzilla 2.6
- Mozilla Bugzilla 2.8
- RedHat Linux 7
- RedHat Linux 7.1
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- RedHat Linux Powertools 7.0
- RedHat Linux Powertools 7.1
Aug 29, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this